PLEASE NOTE: Curbside delivery to your home is free. Please plan to have two adults at home who can bring the boxes inside.
Consumer will need to complete some assembly after the bed is delivered, but it can be accomplished with the simplest of hand tools. Very little technical knowledge needed. These components can be a little heavy however, and the process will take anywhere from 90 minutes to a few hours. Tools needed: standard socket wrenches, a cordless drill, and Allen Key (Hex Key) wrenches.
Beds by George are Safety Beds for children and adults with special needs. They are designed and manufactured in the USA. Beds by George are created to be aesthetically pleasing pieces of bedroom furniture in addition to their unsurpassed safety features. They intentionally do not look like hospital or institutional beds. Beds by George was founded by Aaron Clow, a dad who wanted his daughter with special needs to have a bed that was safe and functional, but also look like it belonged in a little girl’s room. All beds are made to order. The wood is cut, sanded, and finished by hand by Amish craftsman.
What defines a Safety Bed? Hospital Beds, Institutional Beds, Safety beds or Adaptive Beds, despite the different terminology in labeling, all share a common goal. They are all designed to keep the user safe from falling out of the bed or injuring themselves as a result of being in bed. Beds by George address four very specific safety issues.
- Fall Protection: The structure has physical barriers to minimize the possibility that the user could fall out of the bed. For many, this protection must apply while the user is awake and moving around as well as sleeping.
- Protection from Entanglement/Entrapment: While fall protection is important in a safety bed, Entrapment is the greatest danger to persons who are medically fragile and/or have physical limitations. All gaps and openings in Beds by George are minimized. This significantly reduces the likelihood that the user will become stuck in the frame or between the mattress and the frame. Beds by George meet or exceed the CPSC and FDA standards for anti-entrapment/ entanglement.
- Caregiver assistance to exit: Safety features on Beds by George such as latching doors cannot be accidentally disengaged by the user. Many users are unable to safely exit a bed without assistance. Others, if able to exit the bed independently are at risk for injury if not supervised. For example, while parents are sleeping. Safety features ensure that the user remains in the bed until assisted by the caregiver to get out of the bed.
- One hand operation: Doors and openings are easily operated by the caregiver. Doors can quickly be opened and closed with one hand which allows the free hand to assist the user as needed.
Dream Series Beds offer many opportunities for customization to match your home décor and child’s personality. The Dream Series is made from solid Maple or Oak with four 4in.x4in. solid wood beam corner posts. Corner posts create an extremely sturdy foundation. Materials and workmanship are all the highest quality available. There are no plastic edges, no veneers and no harmful glues or resins used. The result is a product with long lasting durability reflected in the frame’s 5 year warranty. There are also a variety of wood stains or paint offered to accommodate your esthetic preferences.
There are Two Models in the Dream Series. One model has a Standard Door System. The other has a Hi Side Door System.
- The Standard Door System rises 20in. above the mattress. Beds with the Standard Door System have 2 doors, one on each side of the bed. The Standard Door operates with a very simple swing down method. The caregiver grasps cut out handles on the top edge of the door and lifts slightly (approx. ½ in.). This releases the top edge of the door to swing out and down until it rests flush with the bed side. Swinging the door down can easily be accomplished with one hand. To close, the process is reversed, and the door clicks into place as a self-latching door. Doors fully open along the entire side of the bed.
- The Hi Side Door System rises 32in. above the mattress and has a trademark Bifold Door. The bed comes standard with the Bifold Door on one side of the bed. This door is easily operated with one hand. After the latch is manually disengaged, the door bends in the middle and then swings down flush along the side of the bed frame. The caregiver cannot partially open or close the door and leave the user in an unsafe situation. To close the door the process is reversed and can be accomplished with as a little as a two-finger grasp on the handle. This offers you an idea of the ease with which the Bifold Dual Door is closed. Once it’s up the latch is engaged manually. It’s an easy to use 32 inches of safety.
On the Dream Series bed, 3 smaller Panels make up each Door Panel. Standard Side Doors have 1 Door Panel made up of 3 smaller Panels. Hi Side Doors with Bi-Fold Door System are comprised of 2 Door Panels each made up of 3 smaller Panels. Options for each smaller panel are: Clear View Window made of .25 in. thick high density acrylic, Airflow Wooden Slats, or Solid Wood Panel. The most common configurations of Door Panels can be chosen in the drop boxes in Required Step 2. They can also be seen in the Photo Gallery under the Main Image on this page. If you are purchasing a Standard Side Bed, you will choose a configuration for the Door Panel and it will be the same for both doors on either side of the bed. If you are purchasing a Hi-Side Bed, you will first choose the configuration of the 3 panels on the Bottom Panel of the Door. You will then choose the configuration of the 3 panels on the Top Panel of the Door. If you choose Dual Side Door for the High Side Bed (Doors on BOTH sides of the Hi Side Bed- this is not standard) the configuration of panels on the Top and Bottom Door Panel will be mimicked on the door on the other side of the bed. If you are choosing NOT to have a second door on the High Side Bed, you will be given an opportunity to customize the Back Panel in the final drop box of Required Step 2. If further customization is desired, please contact customer service (800) 371-2778.
Beds in the Dream Series can accommodate 3 different mattress sizes. Twin Mattress 36in. x 76in. (91.4 x 193 cm), Extended Twin Mattress 36in. x 80in. (91.4 x 203.2 cm), and Full Size Mattress 54” x 74” (137.2 x 188 cm). Please Note: Full size mattress is not available for Electric (Semi-Electric or Full Electric) Bed Deck Surfaces. All mattresses are made of pressure relieving foam with a water resistant, antibacterial low sheer cover.
In Required Step 1 you will be offered a choice of Bed Deck Surfaces. Choices include:
- Fixed Surface - Fixed Deck with Fixed Height of Mattress
- Manually Adjustable (hand crank) Head with Fixed Height of Mattress
- Manually Adjustable (hand crank) Head and Foot with Fixed Height of Mattress
- Manual Height Adjustment (hand crank) and Electric Articulation (Adjustability of Head and Foot) - “Semi-Electric”*. NOT available with Full Size Mattress
- Electric Hi Lo (Mattress Height) & Electric Articulation (Adjustability of Head and Foot) -“Full Electric”. NOT available with Full Size Mattress
On Beds with Articulating (Adjustable) Head and/or Foot: Maximum Head Angle is 60 degrees; Maximum Knee Angle is 30 degrees.
*Semi-Electric Bed Deck Surface accommodates Extended Twin Mattress (80in. long) ONLY. If you purchase a Semi-Electric bed deck you will receive an Extended Twin Mattress as standard.
Transfer Height refers to the height of the rigid side structure of the bed frame above the floor (does not include the door). This height must be surpassed for an individual to get into the bed with the door open. This height does not change even if you have a bed that allows for high/low height adjustability of the mattress. The standard transfer height of the bed is 24 in. but a 30 in. transfer height is also available for an additional cost (picture can be viewed in Photo Gallery under Main Product Image). For Dream Series beds with the standard size door system, there is also a 21.5 in. transfer height available for an additional cost. This bed is referred to as a Lo Bed (picture can be viewed in Photo Gallery under Main Product Image).
Please Note: If ordering a Dream Series Bed with a 30 in. Transfer Height, you will also be given the option to purchase under the bed Storage Drawers in the last drop box of Required Step 1- Add Accessories. This is a great place to keep medical supplies or other needed items. This option is NOT AVAILABLE for “Full Electric” bed decks”.
Casters can be purchased for any bed in the Dream Series and will allow you to easily move the bed within the room. If you do not choose to upgrade to casters, the bed comes standard with Leveling Nickel Guides. If the user of the bed is transferred into and out of the bed with a patient lift and additional clearance is required to accommodate the lift, you can choose to add either 5.5 in. or 6.5 in. of additional under the bed frame clearance. On all standard side beds (including the Lo Bed which is always standard side) the clearance under the bed with the door down/open is .5” (1.27cm). On the Hi-Side Beds the clearance under the bed with the door down/open is 5.5” (14cm).
Beds by George are Highly Customizable.
- Extended Safety Height of 18in. (45.7cm) can be added to bed walls of a hi sided bed in Required Step 3.
- Headboard and/or Footboard Modifications can include the addition of a Clear View Window Panel and/or an Air Flow Vent Panel in Required Step 3.
- Location of Head of Bed- In Required Step 3 you will choose placement of the head of the bed. This is accomplished by first picturing the bed placement in the room it will be in. When you stand facing the bed, you will need to choose if you want the head of the bed to be on the Right or the Left.
- A Canopy made of fabric and mesh can be purchased to enclose the top of the bed. If you choose to purchase the Canopy, you will choose the Fabric Color and you will choose between Standard and Heavy Duty Mesh Fabric in Required Step 4. Fabric is urethane coated polyester. It is washable, water repellant and mildew resistant. The heavy-duty mesh offers more fabric reinforcements, greater strength, and more airflow than the standard mesh.
- Foam Padding can be purchased to line and pad the inside walls of the bed. If you choose foam padding, in Required Step 5 you will have a choice of color for the fabric that covers the foam pad.
- Wood Type is chosen in Required Step 6 with a choice of solid Maple or Oak.
- Wood Stain/ Paint is also chosen in Required Step 6 with many options to choose from. Please refer to Photo Gallery under Main Product Image.
- Headboard/ Footboard Style on Dream Series Beds can be Straight or upgraded to either Hemisphere or Colonial. Please refer to Photo Gallery under Main Product Image.
- Corner Posts are flat but can also be upgraded to include a rounded, turned finial if desired. However, Please Note: The turned finial is not compatible with a canopy.
- Access Port(s) can be added to Headboard and/or Footboard in Required Steps 7 and 8 to allow for feeding tubes, IV lines or an oxygen tube.
- IV Pole with matching wood brackets can be purchased in Required Step 7 to suspend IV or tube feeding bags.
In the Optional Accessories Section you can also add Custom Engraving. Accent Carvings can also be added to the Headboard and Footboard free of charge. There are several to choose from. Please refer to Photo Gallery under Main Product Image.
Please feel free to reach out to our customer service department with questions. Call toll free at (800) 371-2778
Is this Product Right for You?
- Offers safety and security for your loved one while sleeping
- Easy to open door requiring only one hand
- Many options for customization to match home decor
- Semi-electric and electric adjustable frame models available
- Questions? Our therapists can help you with a proper fit and your questions regarding customization of the bed. To start please click SIZING HELP and complete a simple form, or call us toll free at (800) 371-2778