The Leckey MyWay is a new, upright mobility aid/ gait trainer that supports children during standing and walking. A revolutionary, patented harness support system offers core support through a corset-style design providing individuals with moderate to significant physical limitations the opportunity for standing mobility, often for the first time. The Leckey MyWay helps kids move just like their typically developing peers, thereby supporting all aspects of their development. The wheeled frame of the MyWay gait trainer allows a child to propel themselves using their legs while keeping their hands free for play and exploration. Children are empowered to interact, explore, and participate to their fullest potential while developing their walking and weight bearing abilities. The open-frame design reduces device distraction typical with walkers placed in front of the child and allows therapists access to the user for hands on facilitation and prompts to enhance motor learning. These therapeutic strategies are not always possible when the therapist is providing the assistance required for the user to maintain an upright standing posture.
What makes the Leckey MyWay so special?
First and foremost is the innovative Harness Support System. The “hug like” support given by the corset-style design provides sensory feedback, dampens involuntary movement, and provides comfort and confidence through a sense of secure stability. Core stability through the trunk acts as a foundation for head control and extremity movement including optimization of stepping ability. The harness moves with the child's movements, it is not stiff or rigid which can prevent natural upright movement patterns. The multi-functional castors offer brakes, direction locks, anti-roll back and resistance. These features assist with steering, prevent backward movement and limit speed. This assists the user by limiting available movement to only the movements that are most helpful for learning and allows for variability and progression as skill level improves. The prone angle (the degree to which the user can be leaned forward) and shoulder strap and height adjustments are easy and ensure optimal body position for stepping. The ability to use multiple size harnesses on a single frame enables continued use of the same frame as the child grows. Children who use a mechanical lift can be transferred directly into and out of the MyWay frame using the optional Hoisting Straps that attach to the MyWay Harness and their own lift. There is no need to use a different hoisting sling to do this. This process improves safety during transfers and conserves time and energy for everyone involved. Other optional accessories include a Headrest, Handles, Saddle, Ankle Guides, and a Guide Connection Belt. The MyWay frame can be split into two parts* and the wheeled frame is foldable, facilitating convenient storage and transportation. PLEASE NOTE: *Not applicable to MyWay Size 1 due to its small footprint.
Leckey has also gone the extra step to make ordering the MyWay easy. By ordering the MyWay Package, you will automatically receive the Frame and Harness size of your choice, Plus User Handles, Guide Handles, Headrest, Saddle, and Ankle Guides. Packages for frame sizes 1 & 2 include Size 1 Saddle (9in.L x 3.24in.W). Packages for frame size 3 include Size 2 Saddle (10in.L x 3.24in.W). For additional information regarding accessories included in the package, please click on the accessory in the accessory section to be brought to the page that includes detailed information on that accessory.
The Leckey MyWay can be beneficial to children with a wide range of challenges that limit their ability to stand and walk. Individuals with generalized abnormal muscle tone and those with dyskinetic (fluctuating) movement typical of dystonia and athetosis can benefit. Individuals with asymmetry of posture and movement or lower extremity deformity as well as individuals who lack stepping initiation can all benefit from the MyWay. And, it’s easy to see that the MyWay’s benefits are not only for the user but for their caregivers as well!
The possibilities for play activities when a child uses the support of the MyWay are endless and include soccer, hitting a ball with a bat off a tee, pushing a doll’s carriage, playing at a sand or water table, engaging in table-top activities and so much more. All these activities provide the child with increased opportunity for learning, development, and enjoyment!
Contra-indications/Cautions per Leckey
- Children with significant leg length discrepancy which prevents reciprocal contact with the floor when stepping.
- Children with a history of frequent fractures (Osteogenesis Imperfecta or Brittle Bone Disease).
- Children using a portable ventilator.
- Open/healing wounds under areas of pressure including trunk, groin, and shoulders.
- Spina Bifida with protruding lesion along spine.
- Children experiencing discomfort associated with positioning in or out of the device where this cannot be resolved with adjustment of support/ positioning.
- Children with significant asymmetry of lower limbs which prevents stepping.
- Children with no muscle activity/ movement of their lower limbs.
- Children with severe dystonic movement which presents a manual handling risk for child and caregiver when getting the child in and out of the product.
- Children with device fed through the abdominal wall, such as PEG or gastrostomy tube.
- Children with an abdominal device in situ such as Baclofen pump.
- Children with compromised respiratory function who may experience increased effort of breathing due to fit of harness.
- Children with severe lower limb deformity with reduced range of movement to achieve stepping.
- Using the product for children with significant learning disability or behavioral issues which present risk of injury to the child and/or caregiver.
Is this Product Right for You?
- A mobility device promoting independent standing and walking
- Appropriate for children and teenagers approximately 1-16 years old
- Appropriate for children with moderate to significant physical involvement
- Appropriate for children with shoulder height ranging from 25 in. to 58 ½in. (63.5-149 cm)
- Maximum user weight 176.5 lbs. (80kg)
- Questions? Our therapists can help you with a proper fit… to start please click SIZING HELP and complete a simple form, or call us toll free at (800) 371-2778