The Ormesa New Bug is a Modular Seating System for children with special needs. The revolutionary design offers Tilt-in-Space & Recline mechanisms built right into the seat, not the frame, which means tilt and recline are available when using any base- Outdoor 4-Wheel Stroller Base, Indoor Hi-Low Feeding Base, Floor Base, or no base at all (Seat may be placed on any safe, flat stable surface). Tilt and recline are regulated by two independent gas springs which make adjustment operations particularly gentle and smooth. When full recline and tilting functions are combined, the chair assumes a nearly flat supine position. The recline function differs from the tilt-in-space function of the chair. When a seat back is reclined, it opens the hip angle. The tilt-in-space function tips the whole seat backwards or forwards keeping the angle at the hips the same. Both functions have been designed with ease of use for caregiver in mind and can be accomplished with very little effort using one hand.
The New Bug is offered in 2 sizes. Size Small accommodates children up to 77 lbs. (35kg). Size Medium accommodates children up to 99 lbs. (45kg). The New Bug offers a wide range of accessories to provide postural support for children with minimal to complex needs. An array of quick and simple standard adjustments (seat width, seat depth, back height, footplate height) allow the system to grow with your child. Standard angle adjustments for the ankles, knees and hips are positioned anatomically, meaning the axis of movement in the chair is aligned with the axis of movement of the child’s joint. The padded, ergonomic upholstery is offered in a variety of colors and is removable and washable.
As you order, in Required Step 1 you will have a Choice of Base for the seating system. This will determine where the seating system can be used. Please see Base Options listed below. In Required Step 2, you will be given the option to purchase an additional base for the New Bug Seating System which will increase its versatility in use.
- The Floor Base allows the adaptive seating system to be placed right on the floor without losing the tilt and recline functions that are built into the seat. The seat can also be placed on any safe, stable flat surface without a base, but if your child is active or has issues with involuntary movements caused by spasticity, a Floor Base is recommended for increased stability.
- The Hi-Low Feeding Base is adjustable in Seat-To-Floor height from 20.5-24.4in. (52-62cm) for Size Small and 23.6-29.5in. (60-75cm) for Size Medium. It is a mobile base on 4 in. swiveling castors with locks.
- The 4-Wheel Stroller Base is an outdoor base and classifies the New Bug as a Pediatric Wheelchair. This base has been crashed tested and fits the ANSI-RESNA WC/19 compliant 4-POINT STRAP-TYPE TIE-DOWN provided by the vehicle. Foldable, made of lightweight and durable aluminum, it is compact and narrow (wheels do not protrude from frame) compared to other adaptive stroller frames. The Angle Adjustable Push Handle makes it a breeze to push and maneuver. Light solid wheels roll easily over all surfaces and are equipped with direction locks and independent drum brakes. Because it is lightweight and foldable, this adaptive stroller is also easy to transport in the trunk of a car. Please Note: The Size Small 4-Wheel Stoller Base has the added feature of being able to change the seat from forward to backwards facing. This feature is not available on Size Medium 4-Wheel Stroller Base.
In Required Step 3 you will have a Choice of Headrests which allows you to customize head support to best meet the needs of your child. Please see choices listed below.
- The Ergonomic Headrest with Multi Axis Hardware is adjustable in height, tilt/angle, and depth (movement forward and back). Choose the headrest size to match the size chair you are purchasing. There is also a size large available if needed for a child with a large head circumference, for example a child with hydrocephalus.
- The Headrest with Occipital-Parietal Supports with Multi Axis Hardware is adjustable in height, width of parietal (side) supports, tilt/angle, and depth (movement forward and back). Side supports help maintain the head in midline. It is the combination of height, tilt and depth adjustability that allows this headrest to offer customized occipital support.
- Headrest with Parietal Supports is adjustable in height and width of side supports ONLY. Side supports help to maintain the head in midline.
In Required Step 4 you will have a Choice of Chest Harnesses which allows you to customize trunk support to best meet the needs of your child. Please see choices listed below. You will also be given the opportunity to add your choice of Lateral Trunk Supports to give further assistance to children who have difficulty holding a midline postural alignment.
- The 5 Point Harness is a padded, adjustable strapping system that has 5 points of attachment- one over each shoulder, one on each side of the chest/trunk, and one between the legs. All straps buckle into a central location.
- The 5 Point Vest Harness is a padded, zippered vest with 5 adjustable strap attachments- one over each shoulder, one on each side of the chest/trunk, and one between legs.
- The Vest Harness is a padded, zippered vest with 4 adjustable strap attachments- one over each shoulder and one on each side of the chest/trunk.
- Wrappable and Flexible Trunk Supports are height and depth adjustable and fit securely around the chest to help improve trunk stability and midline alignment.
- Lateral Pads are rigid cushioned pads that are adjustable in height and depth and offer support at the sides of the trunk to help your child maintain a midline position.
In Required Step 5, the Knee Option refers to your ability to add a Padded Abduction Block and its hardware to your adaptive seating system. The Abduction Block is especially helpful for children who have increased muscle tone/ spasticity in their inner thigh muscles which can cause them to draw their legs together tightly or cross (“scissor”) their legs. The Abduction Block will help maintain a proper position of the upper legs.
Required Step 6, Hip Option Upgrade will offer you the opportunity to upgrade and customize the supportive straps that maintain the proper position of the pelvis, the foundation of a well aligned seated posture. The New Bug comes standard with a 45 Degree Padded Pelvic Belt with 2 points of attachment (one on each side of the user) anchoring the belt with a 45 degree angle of pull. It has a center side release buckle. This belt helps to ensure that hips stay back in the chair and sliding forward is discouraged. Upgrade choices are listed below.
- Leg Straps (also called inguinal straps) are padded and wrap around the upper leg at the crease in the hip. They help to secure the position of the pelvis and can also act to pull the upper legs slightly apart (abduction).
- The 4 Point Pelvic Belt is a padded belt with 4 points of attachment to anchor the belt. 4 points of attachment make this a better pelvic stabilizer for children who may have difficulty maintaining a proper position of the pelvis due to their own voluntary or involuntary movement patterns.
In Required Step 7, the Foot Option refers to accessories that help to position the lower leg and foot. The New Bug comes standard with a Flip Up Angle Adjustable Footplate and Elevating Leg Rests. Optional Foot Straps are available in two sizes, adjustable in length from 8-11in. or 11-14 in. Foot straps will help anchor your child’s feet to the footplate. The optional Calf Rest is a strap that provides support for the lower leg which can be especially important when leg rests are elevated or the recline and tilt-in-space functions of the chair are used. The calf rest discourages the lower leg and foot from dropping down behind the Foot Plate. The optional Padded Footplate is important for children who have forceful or involuntary movement of their feet and legs. It softens the supportive surface for the feet. Please Note: Foot Straps cannot be used with the Padded Footplate.
Is this Product Right for You?
- Seating and positioning chair with 3 bases available for indoor and outdoor use
- Appropriate for children with mild to significant limitations in physical abilities
- Appropriate for children with special needs up to 99 lbs. (45kg).
- Wide range of customizing accessories to ensure proper postural support
- Questions? Our therapists can help you with a proper fit. To start please click SIZING HELP and complete a simple form, or call us toll free at (800) 371-2778