The New R82 Rabbit Up is a prone standing frame (support is in front of the user) that can be equipped to provide both static and dynamic standing options. Like the original Rabbit, it can be ordered with drive wheels in varying sizes so the user can propel themselves, like using a manual wheelchair except in the standing position. This allows children with special needs to participate in eye level engagement with their typically developing peers and provides a means of independent mobility and exploration. When Driving Wheels are removed or if the stander is purchased without driving wheels, the stander is on a base with 4 locking swivel castors allowing it to be pushed up to a table top surface so the child can take part in group activities and interact with friends. The new, narrower frame and ability to adjust the camber angle (the angle of the driving wheel), positions the driving wheels closer to the child for easier propulsion and improved maneuverability. Having a single piece of equipment that can be used either as a stationary stander or a self-propelled mobile stander is always a plus in a multi-user environment.
R82 consistently provides outstanding design quality, adaptability, and aesthetics. The robust Rabbit Up that can be used indoors and out is no exception. The Rabbit Up is available in 4 sizes and can accommodate children from approximately 12 months old to approximately 18 years old. A wide array of accessories ensures that even unique postural support needs can be met effectively. Accessories are easily mounted through slots on the center bar. The angle of the center bar is adjustable from 0-30⁰ (user would be leaning forward at 30⁰) using a stepless spindle with crank. If ordering the mobile stander, each size is available with a choice of drive wheel sizes. When choosing the driving wheel size, R82 recommends that you choose the largest possible wheel size for easier propulsion. Components for postural support are easily adjusted for growth, changes in ability or for multiple users.
Choosing a Head Support is important if the user exhibits excessive extensor tone and hyper extends the head, neck, and trunk. Sometimes, the effort of self-propulsion can exacerbate this extensor tone and it will be important to purchase a head rest to help keep the user’s head upright with eyes looking forward. The head rest provides support to the head and neck by cupping the back of the head. It is mounted on a swing-away bracket that has height, depth, angle, and lateral adjustability and includes a black Decutex cover. Please refer to picture and measuring guide in the main picture carousel to choose appropriate size.
If you choose a head support, you will automatically be required to purchase a Standard Hip Support with Pommel. If a head support is not chosen, you will have a choice of hip supports. The Size of the Hip Support should match the frame size you are purchasing 1, 2, 3 or 4. Please refer to picture carousel to view an image of each option.
- Standard Hip Support with Pommel- The pad for this support is behind the user and it is height and width adjustable. The Pommel fits between the user’s legs. The support pad can be turned upside down. Two different forms of closure, Velcro overlaid with an adjustable length strap with side release buckles, ensures a comfortably snug and secure fit. This hip support offers a higher degree of hip control than the other hip support accessories offered. This results in greater postural stability which is important when a head support is used.
- Front Mount Hip Support- These hip support pads are height and width (except Size 1) adjustable. The support pad can be turned upside down for use. Two different forms of closure, Velcro overlaid with an adjustable length strap with side release buckles, ensures a comfortably snug and secure fit.
- Standard Hip Support with Rotation- This hip support is mounted with rotational hardware which allows the hip support to be adjusted to better fit the user’s body when their hips are not able to be positioned at midline or their hips do not align with the rest of their body, for example when a child has spina bifida or issues with spinal rotation.
- Surrounding Hip Support- This hip support surrounds the user with pads.
When choosing a Knee Support you will be given a choice of Standard or Hinged.
- Standard Knee Support- Solid pad knee supports are height and width adjustable and are moldable for a snug fit. Solid pad knee supports are positioned just below the bend in the knee. Knee pads offer support and prevent buckling of the knee due to weakness or fluctuations in muscle tone.
- Hinged Knee Support- Split pad knee supports are height and width adjustable. Pads are on hinged hardware allowing the space between them to be adjusted. Pads are positioned so that one pad rests above the knee and other rests below the knee ensuring pressure is not applied directly over the knee cap. Knee pads offer support and prevent buckling of the knee due to weakness or fluctuations in muscle tone.
The Rabbit Up comes standard with a Flip-Up Footplate. The Flip-up Footplate is angle adjustable to accommodate contractures or deformities of the ankle and foot. This Footplate is required for the attachment of all footplate accessories except Individual Footrests with Hinged Sandals. You will be asked if you would like to upgrade foot support with options as listed below. Please refer to picture carousel to view an image of each option.
- Foot Straps (Plastic or Velcro)- Loop through the precut slots in the footrest. They are easily adjustable for growing feet. They are used to stabilize the user’s foot on the footplate. Choose between plastic with plastic lock closure or Velcro closure.
- Formed Footplate- Provide support for proper foot positioning at the heel and along the sides of the foot.
- Hinged Sandals- Allow the user's feet to be fixed to the footplate while they are still in their wheelchair, prior to being transferred up to standing in the Rabbit Up. This can improve ease and safety of the transfer from wheelchair to Rabbit Up.
- Individual Footrest with Hinged Sandal- Allow the height of the footrests to be adjusted independently of one another which can be very important if the user has a leg length discrepancy or contractures that create a leg length discrepancy. These footrests also have a hinged sandal.
- Heel Stop- A simple heel support to stabilize the position of the foot on the footplate can be moved forwards and back in the slot it is mounted in.
The therapeutic benefits of standing cannot be overstated. The benefits of self-propelled mobile standing are even greater. Standing provides many physiological benefits including increasing bone density, aiding the digestive process, and improving circulation. But there are also social and emotional benefits that go along with the upright standing position. These benefits are significant to a person’s well-being whether independent standing and walking is a realistic goal or not. The self-propelled Rabbit Up also lends itself to very functional and highly motivating exercise that can improve strength and endurance while building self confidence in self-directed independent mobility activities.
Stand Up and Roll into your next Adventure with the Rabbit Up!
Is this Product Right for You?
- A Prone Stander with optional Quick Release Drive Wheels for Self-Propulsion
- Adjustable Angle Center Bar 0-30⁰
- Appropriate for children approximately 12 months old through approximately 18 years old
- Appropriate for children with mild to moderate physical involvement
- Maximum user height 64” (164cm); weight 154 lbs (70 kg)
- Questions? Our therapists can help you with a proper fit… to start please click SIZING HELP and complete a simple form, or call us toll free at (800) 371-2778