The R82 Toucan is a sturdy, lightweight standing frame which provides customized postural support for upright and prone standing. The user leans forward into padded supports that are positioned in front of their body. Designed for children and young adults with special needs, the Toucan is offered in 5 sizes accommodating users from approximately 1 to 18 years old and up to 154 lbs (70 kg). Please click on the Size Chart tab below for assistance with measurements to choose the correct size Toucan to meet your needs. Every size stander can accommodate approximately 12-14 in. of growth in the user’s height. The Toucan is appropriate for users who have mild to moderate physical limitations and have already begun to develop some head and trunk control. Prone standing helps to develop strength and endurance in the muscles that extend the body up against gravity. Supported upright standing helps individuals build the balance of core strength necessary to progress towards greater independence in standing.
The R82 Toucan comes standard with a unique frame base. The distance between the side bars of the frame allows almost any wheelchair or seating system to fit in between the bars. This is a great feature for easy, safe transfers into the Toucan. The angle adjustable center bar is operated using a handle that is equipped with a security lock. The lock is pulled out and the handle is turned for a smooth steady angle adjustment from upright (0 degrees) to leaning forward up to 30 degrees for sizes 1-3 and up to 20 degrees for sizes 4 and 5. The base is equipped with four locking swivel castors making it very easy to maneuver, even in tight spaces, and very stable when locked into place. The Toucan is designed with slots in the center bar for easy and simple mounting of accessories.
Choosing a Head Support for the Toucan can be important if the user exhibits excessive extensor tone and hyper extends the head, neck, and trunk. The Head Support can also be used with the optional Headband System for users who are developing head and trunk control and would benefit from a prompt to remain upright. The head rest provides support to the head and neck by cupping the back of the head. It is mounted on a swing-away bracket that has height, depth, angle, and lateral adjustability and includes a black Decutex cover. Please refer to picture and measuring guide in the main picture carousel to choose appropriate size.
If you choose a head support, you will automatically be required to purchase a Standard Hip Support with Pommel because this hip support provides necessary hardware for the attachment of the head rest. If a head support is not chosen, you will have a choice of hip supports. Please refer to picture carousel to view an image of each option.
- Standard Hip Support with Pommel- The pad for this support is behind the user and it is height and width adjustable. The Pommel fits between the user’s legs. The support pad can be turned upside down. Two different forms of closure, Velcro overlaid with an adjustable length strap and side release buckles, ensure a comfortably snug and secure fit. This hip support offers a higher degree of hip control than the other hip support accessories offered. This results in greater postural stability which is important when a head support is used.
- Front Mount Hip Support- These hip support pads are height and width (except Size 1) adjustable. The support pad can be turned upside down for use. Two different forms of closure, Velcro overlaid with an adjustable length strap with side release buckles, ensures a comfortably snug and secure fit.
- Standard Hip Support with Rotation- This hip support is mounted with rotational hardware which allows the hip support to be adjusted to better fit the user’s body when their hips are not able to be positioned at midline or their hips do not align with the rest of their body, for example when a child has spina bifida or issues with spinal rotation.
- Surrounding Hip Support- This hip support surrounds the user with pads.
When choosing a Knee Support, you will be given a choice of Standard or Hinged.
- Standard Knee Support- Solid pad knee supports are height and width adjustable and are moldable for a snug fit. Solid pad knee supports are positioned just below the bend in the knee. Knee pads offer support and prevent buckling of the knee due to weakness or fluctuations in muscle tone.
- Hinged Knee Support- Split pad knee supports are height and width adjustable. Pads are on hinged hardware allowing the space between them to be adjusted. Pads are positioned so that one pad rests above the knee and other rests below the knee ensuring pressure is not applied directly over the knee cap. Knee pads offer support and prevent buckling of the knee due to weakness or fluctuations in muscle tone.
The Toucan comes standard with a Flip-Up Footplate. The Flip-up Footplate is angle adjustable to accommodate contractures or deformities of the ankle and foot. This Footplate is required for the attachment of all footplate accessories except Individual Footrests with Hinged Sandals. You will be asked if you would like to upgrade foot support with options as listed below. Please refer to picture carousel to view an image of each option.
- Foot Straps - Loop through the precut slots in the footrest. They are easily adjustable for growing feet. They are used to stabilize the user’s foot on the footplate. Foot straps have a plastic lock closure.
- Formed Footplate- Provide support for proper foot positioning at the heel and along the sides of the foot.
- Hinged Sandals- Allow the users feet to be fixed to the footplate while they are still in their wheelchair, prior to being transferred up to standing in the Toucan. This can improve ease and safety of the transfer from wheelchair to Toucan.
- Individual Footrest with Hinged Sandal- Allow the height of the footrests to be adjusted independently of one another which can be very important if the user has a leg length discrepancy or contractures that create a leg length discrepancy. These footrests also have a hinged sandal.
- Heel Stop- Simple heel support to stabilize the position of the foot on the footplate can be moved forwards and back in the slot it is mounted in.
Is this Product Right for You?
- Supports user in prone and upright standing positions
- Accommodates users with mild to moderate support needs with developing head and trunk control
- Available in 5 Sizes
- Accommodates users approximately age 1-18 years old
- Maximum user weight 154lbs. (70kg)
- Questions? Our therapists can help you with a proper fit! To start, please click SIZING HELP and complete a simple form, or call us toll free at (800) 371-2778