Special Tomato: Our Family Story
Carrie Bergeron embodies the heart and dedication found in Special Tomato's quality products.
The Special Tomato of My Family!
My dad and mom had four children. The first three children were healthy and regular people. Then I came along, a baby with a difference, Down syndrome. I had a hole in my heart, a rip in my heart valve, jaundice, a big tongue and a wobbly head. As I got older I also realized that I am a slow learner.
One day it was bothering me that I was having a hard time doing my school work. I told my dad about this problem and he shared a story about when he was out in his garden picking tomatoes the year I was born. Every year my dad grows a garden and loves to plant tomatoes. At harvest time there were Beefsteak tomatoes on a bush. When he saw a differently shaped tomato it got his attention. It had a large, smooth, bright red enlarged side that made my dad want to pick it up and study the bump because it was so unique and looked appetizing. At supper, that tomato was just as juicy as the others.
Even though I'm different like the tomato as a person with Down syndrome, my family and friends love me even more and want to help me when I need it. My dad tells me that even though I have more difficulty learning than my brother and sisters, my lovable and outgoing personality and strong character make me just as special as they are. I guess I am the special "tomato" on our family's bush!
Carrie Bergeron, © 2001
Featured Items> Browse the full line of Special Tomato Products
- Special Tomato® Soft-Touch® Booster Car Seat™$599.95Payments of: $99.99
- Special Tomato Hi-Low MPSSale Price $2,742.80 Regular Price $3,614.29Payments of: $457.13
- Special Tomato EIO Push ChairSale Price $599.95 Regular Price $1,051.52Payments of: $99.99
- Special Tomato Recliner Support SystemSale Price $599.95 Regular Price $998.14Payments of: $99.99
- Special Tomato Soft-Touch® Sitter$252.95Payments of: $42.16