PLEASE NOTE: Curbside delivery to your home is free. Please plan to have two adults at home who can bring the boxes inside.
Consumer will need to complete some assembly after the bed is delivered, but it can be accomplished with the simplest of hand tools. Very little technical knowledge needed. These components can be a little heavy however, and the process will take anywhere from 90 minutes to a few hours. Tools needed: standard socket wrenches, a cordless drill, and Allen Key (Hex Key) wrenches.
Beds by George are Safety Beds for children and adults with special needs. They are designed and manufactured in the USA. Beds by George are created to be aesthetically pleasing pieces of bedroom furniture in addition to their unsurpassed safety features. They intentionally do not look like hospital or institutional beds. Beds by George was founded by Aaron Clow, a dad who wanted his daughter with special needs to have a bed that was safe and functional, but also look like it belonged in a little girl’s room. All beds are made to order. The wood is cut, sanded, and finished by hand by Amish craftsman.
What defines a Safety Bed? Hospital Beds, Institutional Beds, Safety beds or Adaptive Beds, despite the different terminology in labeling, all share a common goal. They are all designed to keep the user safe from falling out of the bed or injuring themselves as a result of being in bed. Beds by George address four very specific safety issues.
- Fall Protection: The structure has physical barriers to minimize the possibility that the user could fall out of the bed. For many, this protection must apply while the user is awake and moving around as well as sleeping.
- Protection from Entanglement/Entrapment: While fall protection is important in a safety bed, Entrapment is the greatest danger to persons who are medically fragile and/or have physical limitations. All gaps and openings in Beds by George are minimized. This significantly reduces the likelihood that the user will become stuck in the frame or between the mattress and the frame. Beds by George meet or exceed the CPSC and FDA standards for anti-entrapment/ entanglement.
- Caregiver assistance to exit: Safety features on Beds by George such as latching doors cannot be accidentally disengaged by the user. Many users are unable to safely exit a bed without assistance. Others, if able to exit the bed independently are at risk for injury if not supervised. For example, while parents are sleeping. Safety features ensure that the user remains in the bed until assisted by the caregiver to get out of the bed.
- One hand operation: Doors and openings are easily operated by the caregiver. Doors can quickly be opened and closed with one hand which allows the free hand to assist the user as needed.
The Haven Series expands the Beds by George product line by offering a fully enclosed soft sided bed. The Haven is fully enclosed with mesh sides and top. The white mesh with fabric boarder (boarder available in many different colors) is stretched over a heavy-duty tubular aluminum frame. Padded sleeves cover the metal frame. The fabric covering is removable and washable. Fabric has a moisture resistant coating for easier cleaning and exceeds the 250 lb. pressure test. The Beds by George Haven Bed is the first and only mesh sided bed that allows for tightening of the fabric without disassembling the bed. The interior height of the bed is approximately 50in. The opening in the bed is closed with 2 YKK heavy duty zippers.
Choice of Bed Decks include:
- Fixed Sleep Surface, Bunkie Board (low profile alternative to a conventional box spring with specially engineered poly resin coating)
- Manually Adjustable (hand crank) Head, Bunkie Board (converted to allow raising of head)
- Manually Adjustable (hand crank) Head and Foot- Head adjusts up to 60 degrees, foot adjusts up to 30 degrees.
Mattress Sizes available: Twin 36in. x 76in. (91.4 x 193 cm), Extended Twin> 36in. x 80in. (91.4 x 203.2 cm), and Full 54in. x 74in. (137.2 x 187cm). All mattresses are made of pressure relieving foam with a water resistant, antibacterial low sheer cover. Mattress Heights are standard at 21 in. (53.3cm) or you may choose the Lo Bed Option at 14 in. (35.6cm) Choosing to add Casters> to the bed will raise this height by 3in. (7.6cm).
Head Location: You will be asked in the required steps to identify the head of the bed. When facing the door from the outside it is standard to have the head of the bed on the left, but it can be changed to right if desired.
Access Ports: Access Ports are sewn into the fabric of the head or foot panel (not mesh) in a location of your choosing. Port has a flap with Velcro closure on the outside of the bed. Access ports allow for oxygen, IV and feeding tubes to be fed through.
IV Pole: An IV Pole can be purchased to hang IV bags and tube feedings.
Heavy Duty Mesh(upgrade): Offers more fabric reinforcements with greater strength and more airflow. The larger holes (.25in. diameter) however, may not be suitable for tiny fingers.
Extra Door: One door on the side panel of the bed is standard but you can add additional doors to the head, foot, and back.
Clear View Top Panel: Offers an alternative to mesh top panel and provides a clear view when using a nanny cam for monitoring.
Exterior Padding: Cushions lower exterior wooden frame on all 4 sides providing improved safety when entering/exiting bed. Also covers the 4 vertical shroud components. Easily spot cleaned but also removable and washable in a standard residential washer (cool cycle). Your choice of fabric colors. Exterior Padding can also be added at a later time.
PLEASE NOTE: The Haven Bed is a complete unit. The enclosure cannot be added to another bed.
Is this Product Right for You?
- Offers safety and security for your loved one while sleeping
- Zippered, easy to open mesh panel
- Options to personalize the aesthetics to match your home decor
- Questions? Our therapists can help you with a proper fit. To start please click SIZING HELP and complete a simple form, or call us toll free at (800) 371-2778