The TherAdapt Posture Chair offers all the ergonomic benefits of a kneeling chair with a high degree of adjustability for customized support. Developed by Beverly Richardson, PT, the Posture Chair positions the child in a stable semi-kneeling position. The seat, with slip resistant upholstery, is angled downward (10 degrees) which encourages an anterior pelvic tilt and extension through the lumbar region (low back). This pelvic position is the foundation for the normal physiologic curves of the spine and promotes the extension needed for a healthy upright posture. Each Posture Chair comes standard with an angled, height and depth adjustable seat ensuring proper lower extremity alignment with an ability to grow with the user or allowing adjustments for multiple users. The standard adjustable pelvic strap is 2 in. wide with a side release buckle, double slotted on one side to allow the loose end of the strap to be threaded back through to prevent slipping after adjustments are made. The standard posterior support can be set at the precise height and depth to support the pelvis in a neutral to anterior position thus promoting the normal lumbar, thoracic, and cervical curves of the spine. The standard kneel support is adjustable in height, depth and angle for individual customization. The foot straps secure the feet with hook and loop closure through a D-ring. For users with significant foot deformities or strong foot reflexes, the foot straps can be rotated 90 degrees and used over the calf instead. All chairs have front mounted casters for easy transport once the user has been removed from the chair.
Clinicians will find the TherAdapt Posture Chair naturally inhibits excessive lower extremity extensor tone and “breaks up” full body extensor patterns allowing for isolated work on trunk and neck extension for postural control. The Posture Chair also provides unique therapeutic opportunities for children who have knee flexion contractures and tight hamstrings offering them a format for lower extremity weight bearing while working on trunk control. It can also be beneficial for children who are not able to stand due to ankle/ foot contractures or bony deformities. In both instances, children are given opportunities to achieve pelvic and spinal alignment typically observed in standing but without the need to support themselves with upper extremity weight bearing. The combination of the tilt in the seat, the posterior support bar and removing tension from the hamstrings eliminates the posterior pelvic tilt that leads to sitting with a rounded spine with forward head (“C” sitting or sacral sitting).
Options for the TherAdapt Posture Chair include:
- The optional Conversion Kit for the Posture Chair replaces the standard kneel base with an anterior knee block and foot support. The standard knee pads are used in either configuration and provide a comfortable base of support. The Conversion Kit increases the chair's versatility. For the active, ambulatory users, the foot support portion of the Conversion Kit has been improved to provide a larger, more stable surface to stand on while getting in and out of the chair, allowing more independent mobility. Knee Block Depth is 10in. to 16 in. Seat Height to Footboard is adjustable to the following: 10.5in., 11.75in., or 13in.
- The optional Tall Back was designed to offer greater trunk support for users who require it. The Tall Back is both height and depth adjustable. Back pads offer cushioned comfort. Lateral trunk padded supports are both height and width adjustable and come standard with a hook and loop closure chest strap. Trunk Width is 6in.-11.5 in. Back Height is 12in. to 14in.
NOTE: The Posture Chair is not designed for users with either a fixed thoracic kyphosis or scoliosis, limited hip range of motion, or a history of hip dislocations. The chair should be evaluated by a licensed therapist and the user should be monitored for fatigue secondary to the dynamic nature of the chair.
Is this Product Right for You?
- A seating system that provides unique opportunities to build postural strength and endurance for erect, upright postures with hands free for engagement
- Especially helpful for children with knee flexion contractures, tight hamstrings or ankle/foot contractures
- Positions pelvis in anterior pelvic tilt, the basis for erect, extended posture
- Durable design with easy adjustability using stem bolts, hand tightened knobs and predrilled holes
- Adjustability accommodates one child’s growth or multiple users
- Available in 3 sizes with maximum weight accommodation of 150 lbs
- Questions? Our therapists can help you with a proper fit… to start please click SIZING HELP and complete a simple form, or call us toll free at (800) 371-2778