The R82 Caribou is a multi-positional Standing Frame. It can be configured as a prone stander (support in front of the user) or a supine stander (support behind the user). For users with mild to moderate involvement and emerging head and trunk control, a prone standing position may be most beneficial. The shape of the top plate ensures freedom of movement of the arms while standing. Users with poor head and trunk control will benefit from using the Caribou in a supine standing position with the addition of head and lateral (side) supports. Some users may progress from using one position for standing to another, reaping the benefits of both.
The Caribou is available in four frame sizes to support children from approximately 12 months old through adulthood and is appropriate for users up to 75” (190.5 cm) tall and 220 lbs. (99.8 kg). The Caribou is designed as a flat to load product meaning it tilts to an elevated, horizontal position for safe and easy transfers. This is particularly beneficial when using a mechanical lift for transfers. The user can then rest, fully supported in a horizontal position as they are positioned in the standing frame prior to changing the angle of the stander.
The pads on the Caribou Stander are covered with a soft polyurethane (PU) material for optimal comfort. This material is easy to wipe clean. The Caribou is configured using a base pad and a series of upper body supports. The range of upper body supports ensures that required support is provided but freedom of movement is preserved. The Caribou is easily adjusted making it a great option for multiple user environments. All critical adjustments for brackets, support pads and straps are made with one tool that is conveniently stored on the frame. The frame has four large smooth-running casters with wheel locks providing safety, stability and ease of mobility. Tilt is activated using a foot lever which can be placed on either side of the frame for caregiver’s convenience. The foot lever is connected to a gas strut. A Power Actuator to control angle of tilt is available for an additional cost and is recommended for sizes 3 and 4. Straps and support pads (knee pads and lateral trunk supports) are affixed to two tracks behind the base pads allowing for simple sliding height adjustments.
The Top Pad is the pad that sits just above the Base Pad and is required in the configuration of the stander.
Available in four sizes:
- Size 1 Top Pad: Top Width = 6“ (15cm) Bottom Width = 7” (18cm) Height = 8” (20cm)
- Size 2 Top Pad: Top Width = 7½” (19cm) Bottom Width = 9” (23cm) Height = 9¾“ (25cm)
- Size 3 Top Pad: Top Width = 8¾“ (22cm) Bottom Width =10½” (27cm) Height =12½” (32cm)
- Size 4 Top Pad: Top Width = 9¾“ (25cm) Bottom Width = 12¼” (31cm) Height =15¾“ (40cm)
Head Support is provided by either the Head Pad for the user that needs light support of the head when supine (support behind user) standing.
- Head Pad for Size 1 and 2 Caribou measures: Top Width= 6“ (15cm) Bottom Width= 7” (18cm) Height = 8” (20cm)
- Head Pad for Size 3 and 4 Caribou measures: Top Width = 7½” (19cm) Bottom Width= 9” (23cm) Height= 9¾“ (25cm)
Or, for the user that needs more support, the Anatomic Head Support cushion is designed to provide increased support to the occiput (base of the head) for children with poor head control and neck control. It provides support to the head and neck by cupping the back of the head, providing a snug yet comfortable fit that helps to prevent the head from sliding sideways. Mounted on a Swing-away Bracket that has Height, Depth, Angle and Lateral Adjustability it also includes a Black Decutex Cover.
- Small: A: 5 ½” x B: 5 ½” x C: 9½” (A: 14cm x B: 14cm x C:24 cm)
- Medium: A: 6” x B: 5 ½” x C: 10” (A: 15.2cm x B: 14cm x C: 25.4 cm)
- Large: A: 6½” x B: 5 ½” x C: 12½” (A: 16.5cm x B: 14cm x C: 31.8 cm)
Knee Supports are available in three styles. Knee pads ensure that the user’s knees do not buckle (flex) during standing. Fixed Knee Supports are height, depth and angle adjustable and include a solid pad. Swing-Away Knee Supports are also height, depth and angle adjustable and are mounted on swing-away hardware to improve ease of transfer. The pad for the swing-away supports is available either as one solid piece or as a split pad with hinge to adjust the distance between the two pieces of the split pad. The solid pad is positioned just below the knee and is moldable for a snug fit. The split pads are positioned above and below the knee and do not place pressure across the knee cap. Size 1 Knees Supports are appropriate for Size 1 and Size 2 Frames. Size 2 Knees Supports are appropriate for Size 3 and Size 4 Frames.
One Chest Strap
is included as standard with the Caribou which can also be used for the pelvis if a different support is preferred for the torso. Chest Straps are affixed to two tracks behind the base pad allowing for simple sliding height adjustments. Straps are first secured with Velcro, then with an overlying strap with side release buckle. A quantity of two straps is recommended by the manufacturer to safely secure the user if no other supports are used. Available in three sizes:
- Size 1&2 measures: 16½”- 24¾“ (42-63cm)
- Size 3 measures: 19”- 30¼” (48-77cm)
- Size 4 measures: 22¾“- 37¾” (58-96cm)
Additional options for chest support include a Cross Vest, Neoprene Vest, and Chest Belt, Upholstered. The Cross Vest
provides upper body support with a focus on the sternum. The Cross Vest stays connected with Velcro® across the chest. There are six straps for easy fixation and removal and required Fix Locks are included. Available in three sizes:
- Size 1 measures: A: 5" x B:½" x C:12"
- Size 2 measures: A: 5½" x B:½" x C:13"
- Size 3 measures: A: 6¼" x B:2½" x C:15¼”
The Neoprene Vest is an adjustable one-piece vest harness that securely holds the child against the seat back. It is helpful for children with poor trunk/postural control. The Neoprene Vest has 4 fixation straps for easy positioning and removal. Required Fix Locks are included. Available in three sizes:
- Size 1 measures: A=7” (17.8cm) x B=5½” (14cm) x C=4” (10.2cm) x D=4.5” (11.4cm)
- Size 2 measures: A=10.5” (26.7cm) x B=11” (27.9cm) x C=6.5” (16.5cm) x D=5.75” (14.6cm)
- Size 3 measures: A=11.25” (28.6cm) x B=9” (22.9cm) x C=7” (17.8cm) x D=6.5” (16.5 cm)
The Chest Belt, Upholstered provides good support with four adjustable points of control. It helps the user maintain a well aligned midline position with shoulders back. Required Fix Locks are included. Available in three sizes:
- Size 1 measures: A=11½” (29cm) x B=7½” (19cm) x C= 9½”- 12¼” (24-31cm)
- Size 2 measures: A=14¼” (36cm) x B=10¼” (26cm) x C=10¼”–13” (26-33cm)
- Size 3 measures: A= 16½” (42cm) x B= 12½” (32cm) x C=10¼”–13” (26-33cm)
For additional hip support optional Cross Straps or a second Chest Strap can be affixed to two tracks behind the base pad allowing for simple sliding height adjustments. Cross Straps are first secured with Velcro, then with an overlying strap with side release buckle. Available in three sizes:
- Size 1 measures: 15”- 19¼“(38-49cm)
- Size 2 measures: 17”-21¾“(43-55cm)
- Size 3 measures: 20¾“- 27½“(53-70cm)
Separate, large profile Footplates have slots for shoe holders or straps and are independently adjustable for height and angle. Adjustments allow for accommodation of contractures or a leg length discrepancy. The optional Heel Supports are designed to position and stabilize the foot on the foot plate. They are appropriate for both prone and supine standing. Formed Footplates offer positioning support on the sides and heel of the foot. They are appropriate for both prone and supine standing. Foot Straps loop through the precut slots in the footrest. They are easily adjusted for growing feet. Foot straps are used to stabilize the user’s foot on the footplate and are offered with your choice of plastic lock or Velcro closure. One Size. Additional support for the ankle can be provided by the Upholstered Ankle Straps which can be used to assist with the positioning of the child’s foot on the footplate. Available in three sizes:
- Size 1: Top Circumference: 5½ -7” (14-18cm) Bottom Circumference: 8½ -10” (22-26cm)
- Size 2: Top Circumference: 6¼- 8” (16-20cm) Bottom Circumference: 10¼- 11¾” (26-30cm)
- Size 3: Top Circumference: 7- 8½” (18-22cm) Bottom Circumference: 11- 12½” (28-32cm)
Is this Product Right for You?
- A Multi-Positional Stander (Prone, Supine and Vertical)
- Appropriate for children approximately 12 months old through adulthood
- Accommodates users requiring minimal to extensive support to maintain proper postural alignment during standing
- Maximum user height 72” (182.9cm); weight 220 lbs (99.8kg)
- Questions? Our therapists can help you with a proper fit… to start please click SIZING HELP and complete a simple form, or call us toll free at (800) 371-2778