The R82 Meerkat is a simple upright standing frame with a big difference. It comes standard with an innovative Rocker Base to help develop dynamic postural control! The Rocker Base can be added to the base plate as desired to allow the child to move forwards and back in a rocking motion. It is very easy to mount under the base plate and can be mounted while the child is in the standing frame. The Meerkat design is straight forward and intuitive, making it user friendly for both the child and the caregiver. Postural support for knees, pelvis and chest are easy to adjust using a ratchet system that offers quick and secure adjustments in small increments without tools. Growth and changes in the user’s ability are easily accommodated because the modular components can be adjusted, added and removed so quickly. This also makes the Meerkat a great piece of equipment for multi-user environments. The Meerkat can be configured to offer support in front of or behind the user (anterior or posterior). It comes in 3 sizes and is appropriate for children from approximately 12 months old through approximately 18 years old. Maximum user weight is 198 pounds (90 kg) and maximum overall height is approximately 71” (180 cm). Users require at least fair head control and developing trunk control as available structural support ends at mid-chest/ just under axilla (armpit) with optional chest support. The low entrance height of the Meerkat ensures safe, easy transfers.
From a therapeutic stand point, the Meerkat effectively bridges the gap between static standers and gait trainers. It is a piece of equipment that can provide functional strengthening strategies for core muscles in a dynamic context. With the lower half of the body well aligned and stable, the child’s upper body freedom of movement is encouraged in the playful manner of rocking. It’s fun to rock! Dynamic core strengthening activities like this are foundational in physical therapy programs. Functional use of the body in upright positions in directly dependent on core stability. To build core strength and endurance children require frequent opportunities to challenge and strengthen the muscles of their trunk. Rocking also provides a soothing sensory experience while offering vestibular input that helps the nervous system to mature and improves a child’s balance and equilibrium reactions.
Proper pelvic positioning is the cornerstone in upright postures. The Pelvic Support attaches to the telescoping column and is adjustable for height and width. It has a Velcro closure and a strap with a side release buckle. The Pelvic Support also has a ratchet system that offers quick and secure adjustments in small increments using one hand, ideal for controlling pelvic rotation.
Available in 4 sizes:
- Small: Circumference Measurement 17¾”- 23½” (45-60cm)
- Medium: Circumference Measurement 23½”-27½” (60-70cm)
- Large: Circumference Measurement 27½”- 35½” (70-90cm)
- X-Large: Circumference Measurement 37½”- 43½” (95-110cm)
Knee Supports are adjustable in width, height and depth. Easy circumferential adjustments can be made with the rachet system.
Available in 3 sizes:
- Size Small: Circumference Measurement 7½”- 10” (18.9-25.1cm) Knee Width 2¼” (5.7cm)
- Size Medium: Circumference Measurement 10”-11½” (25.1-29cm) Knee Width 3¼” (8.3cm)
- Size Large: Circumference Measurement 11½”-15¼” (29-39cm) Knee Width 4” (10.2cm)
Sandals can be adjusted using an allen key at the back of the sandal. Sandals can be adjusted with child in the standing frame. Sandals offer support and ensure proper positioning of the feet.
- Size Small for Size 1 Plate: Heel width: 2¼”-3” (5.7- 7.6cm); Forefoot width: 3¾”- 4¼” (9.5-10.8cm)
- Size Medium for Size 2 Plate: Heel width: 2½”-3¼” (6.4-8.3cm); Forefoot width: 4”-5¾” (10.2-14.6cm)
- Size Large for Size 2 Plate: Heel width: 3¼”-3¾” (8.3-9.5cm); Forefoot width: 4¾”- 6½” (12.1- 16.5cm)
The optional Chest Support attaches to the telescoping column and is adjustable for height and width. It has a Velcro closure and a strap with a side release buckle. The Chest Support also has a ratchet system that offers quick and secure adjustments in small increments using one hand, ideal for controlling trunk rotation.
Available in 4 sizes:
- Size Small: Circumference Measurement 17¾”- 23½” (45-60cm)
- Size Medium: Circumference Measurement 23½”-27½” (60-70cm)
- Size Large: Circumference Measurement 27½”- 35½” (70-90cm)
- Size X-Large: Circumference Measurement 37½”- 43½” (95-110cm)
The R82 Meerkat is the perfect solution to work towards many pre-ambulatory and ambulatory therapeutic goals!
Is this Product Right for You?
- An Upright, Vertical Stander with option to use the Standard Rocker Base
- Innovative design offers a great opportunity for core strengthening and vestibular input
- Appropriate for children approximately 12 months old through approximately 18 years old
- Appropriate for children with at least fair head control and emerging trunk control
- Maximum user height 71” (180 cm); weight 198 lbs (90 kg)
- Questions? Our therapists can help you with a proper fit… to start please click SIZING HELP and complete a simple form, or call us toll free at (800) 371-2778